On October 29th, the 1% for the Planet UK Steering Committee hosted "Rewilding: tapping into the power of nature".
The webinar featured Chief Executive of Rewilding Britain, Rebecca Wrigley, and was moderated by Fred Clarke of MOJU with an introduction from James Bidwell of Re_Set Advisory .
Photo by Rewilding Europe
The focus of the webinar was rewilding: a nature-focused solution that can help fight the climate crisis, boost biodiversity, mitigate flooding and reconnect us to the environment.
Rewilding is defined as:
"the large-scale restoration of ecosystems to the point where nature can take care of itself. Rewilding seeks to reinstate natural processes and, where appropriate, missing species – allowing them to shape the landscape and the habitats within." -Rewilding Britain
During the Webinar, hosts explored the five principles of rewilding and it’s environmental benefits:
- Draws down carbon form the atmosphere
- Helps wildlife adapt to climate change
- Reverses biodiversity loss
- Supports diversified nature-based economies
- Improves our health and wellbeing
Rewilding Britain aims to complete 30% upscaling of rewilding in Britain by 2030, and have recently launched the Rewilding Network, an area where people can look to understand and engage with rewilding. By November, they will be launching an interactive tool to help landowners get the information they need to implement rewilding techniques themselves.
So, what can we do to get involved?
To support Rewilding Britain and the rewilding movement, we can start by:
- Investing in a wilder future
- Supporting the rewilding network growth
- Donating to the Rewilding incubator fund
- Utilizing the mapping and interactive tools on the Rewilding Network
- Joining the call to rewild 30% of Britain
- Rewilding yourself, urban spaces & small gardens by participating in projects.
You can watch the full webinar with the 1% for the Planet UK Steering Committee and guest speakers below:
- Piotr Kowalczyk, Re_Set Advisory
- James Bidwell, Re_Set Advisory
- Fred Clark, MOJU
- Harry Lyon-Smith, Illustration X
- Christopher Ramsay, Pelican Founders
- Madelyn Postman, 1% for the Planet individual member